When you’re suffering from substance abuse, you’re not the only one who is feeling the pain. Your family is suffering right along with you. Chances are your loved ones have enabled your behavior in the past or they don’t understand what you’re going through. That’s why when you enter a drug treatment program, it is beneficial that your family seek therapy to understand how to help you as you travel the road to recovery.
What is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a group treatment practice that help families share in your recovery process. This treatment will help your family – which can be relatives, your spouse and children, or even a close network of friends – deal with the effects drugs and alcohol addiction have played on their lives.
Some of the benefits of family therapy include:
- Assisting the addict in gaining awareness of the family’s needs
- Improving the mental and physical state of the family unit
- Improve the lines of communications and strengthen relationships
- Help the family understand how they were enabling the addict to avoid these behaviors in the future
- Put in place a support system that can help dissuade any future drug and alcohol use
- Prevent the spread of the drug and alcohol addiction in the family
Family Therapy Outside Drug Rehab
Families do not need to have the addict involved in the process. In fact, Al-Anon and Nar-Anon have meetings to specifically address family needs. And just like the recovering addict needs to follow an aftercare program, it is advisable that the family play a major part in that program.
A Sober Place Can Help
When you search for a drug and alcohol treatment center for your loved one, you should also be looking for a program that has family therapy available. If you need assistance in finding a drug and alcohol rehab, we’re ready to assist you. Contact A Sober Place today and get the help that you and your loved one needs.